How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

shortly after joining the army an ex-girl friend called the

Resolved Question:

shortly after joining the army an ex-girl friend called the cops for cell phone threats. I was deployed over seas and was unaware of a court date or that the cops had even been called. While home visiting i was pulled over for speeding and was arrested.
I pled not guilty and have a court date in March. My ex-girl friend has sense contacted me and isnt pressing charges and wants to help with the case as much as possible.
The state is pressing charges however.. Any advice?!
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - There's nothing you can do to make the prosecutor drop the charges and you need to get a lawyer. If you cannot afford a lawyer the court will appoint one but legal representation is a must. If your ex girlfriend has had a change of heart your attorney may be able to talk some sense into the prosecutor and get the case dismissed.


You should not talk to anyone about this case until you get a lawyer. Anything you say will be used against you and nothing you say will help you. At this point you need to contact the court and tell them you need an attorney. You will probably have to demonstrate that you cannot afford an attorney. If you are still in the service you may be able to contact the JAG offices and ask for representation.


Dave Kennett


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think i signed somthing when i seen the judge that said i wasnt going to have an attorney,
I intended on pleading guilty just to get it over with but
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Well you can change your mind and tell the judge you want an attorney. You can simply say that you did not understand your right to counsel. You should never go to court on a criminal charge without an attorney except for minor traffic violations.



Dave Kennett and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions