How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31782
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A family member was viewing child pornography on the web. He

Resolved Question:

A family member was viewing child pornography on the web. He has been contacted by the FBI, and is now asked to see a judge. What should he do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

In the United States, child pornography is prohibited under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 110, Sexual Exploitation and Other Abuse of Children. Obviously, this can be prosecuted by many federal agencies - including the FBI.


The penalties for this can be significant, so your family member should consider hiring an attorney to represent him/her in this matter.


Overall, if this person actually did what has been alleged, the best option is to try to work out some type of plea agreement to resolve these charges. An experienced lawyer certainly can help with reducing the penalty.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you think that a court appointed attorney is going to represent him as well as an attorney that he would hire. He is unemployed and would have to rely on his family to help pay. If you think that an independent attorney should be hired, can you suggest someone in Billings, Montana?
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

A court appointed attorney/public defender can do a fine job representing him. Public defenders get a bad reputation because they don't have the right to pick their clients - they have to take who is assigned to them by the court. Thus, they can't just pick the good cases to keep their winning percentage up.


That said, if he can hire a private attorney, he would get more attention to his case, and probably have a deal worked out quicker than if he uses a public defender.


If a private attorney is something he wants to consider, he can visit and search for a criminal law attorney in his area.

Roger and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you