How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I move to Nevada and become a resident of that state does

This answer was rated:

If I move to Nevada and become a resident of that state does this mean I will no longer need to register in California? Who could I contact to confirm your opinion that I would not have to register in Nevada? Thanks for your help so far!

Correct, you only need to register in the state in which you reside. The exceptions to his rule, as you may already know, would be any addresses where you stay for any length of time.


As you've alluded to, it would certainly be prudent to check with someone of authority as to whether you need to register. In California, I would suggest checking with the attorney that represented you in the matter, if you used one. If not, you can contact the local sheriff's office, they likely have a sex offender division, that would be the people you need to speak with.


Similarly, in Nevada, you can contact the sheriff's office in the area in which you intend to reside, again requesting the sex offender division.


If the information you receive is consistent with what we've discussed, you should be in good shape. As a note, I would suggest writing down the name, rank and location of the person you spoke with as well as the date. This information will come in handy if there is any trouble in the future related to this issue. If the information you receive is inconsistent with what we've been discussing, you might want to consider retaining an attorney in that area to assist. Based on the information we've been able to locate, it certainly appears that you are exempt from the registration requirements.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you