Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

What are the chances of resentencing (split sentencing or if

Customer Question

What are the chances of resentencing (split sentencing or if custody points are low enough for a camp but was sent to a private federal prison)? When two counts are involved running consecutive 12 mos per count, a total of 24mos. At the age of 58yrs and have a degree in science. Charges were 1 count uterring and 1 count of forgery. Sentence in Washington, DC.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
This was a federal conviction?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1 count of uterring, and 1 count of forgery.
Is this a federal or a state conviction?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Federal conviction out of the District's Superior Court
Federal sentencing guidelines are very strict and when applying for a motion for modification of sentence the court looks at only whether or not the sentence falls within those guidelines. If the court finds that the sentence is within the guidelines, they will not order or consider resentencing. If his sentence falls into Zone B on the guidelines he is eligible for split sentencing. So, in order to make this determination you need to read the sentencing report to see where he was classified. As far as a camp, this is at the discretion of the court and subject to the availability of the Bureau of Prisons (which has the final determination). However, based on the criminal history and sentencing report, it is possible that he could get his sentence modified but would need an attorney to review the report and file the motion for sentence modification.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you
Thank you.