Criminal Law

I was hit by my husband last year feb 2009. Can I file charges…

Customer Question
I was hit by my...
I was hit by my husband last year feb 2009. Can I file charges against him now . This is california. I was bruised .... Read full answer
I was hit by my husband last year feb 2009. Can I file charges against him now . This is california. I was bruised .
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/13/2010
Criminal Lawyer: TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
TexCrimLawyer, J.D.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

The statute of limitations for domestic violence in California is two years.

Customer :

the event happened on 24th feb

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

This means that charges must be filed within two years of when the crime was committed. As such, you will have until Feb. 24th, 2011 for the person to be charged.

Customer :

so do I need to report the matter to police?

Customer :

I have pictures

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Bear in mind that this doesn't mean you will have until then to report the crime. The person need to be formaslly charged by then.

Customer :

so what should be my action

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Yes, you need to report it to the police ASAP and provide them the pictures.

Customer :

then what will happen

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

The the police will begin an investigation. Once they conclude it, they will refer it to the DA, who will decide whether or not to bring formal charges.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Since this can all take a while, you need to report it ASAP.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

So that they can begin the process and formally charge him by Feb. 24th.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Can I help you with anything else? Does that answer your question?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Are you still there?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If you do not plan to "Accept," please let me know so that I can move on to help the next customer.

Customer :

what are the basis for charges?

Customer :

how does the DA decide whether or not to bring formal charges

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

The DA decides if the facts meet the elements of the crime and if he believes it can be proven at trial. There are many factors that go into that decision.

Customer :

my pictures are not dated but there was a photo lab technician who took the pictures. I left the pictures with him to collect later but he lost it ... I also took the pictures on my cell and again went to him to give me the print of the pictures and he gave a declaration that he did saw the bruise. I am unable to find him now as he does not work in CVS anymore.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Are the pictures still on your phone or do you have digital copies?

Customer :

no ...... somebody broke open my car broke the window and took my purse which had the cell. My family law attorney saw the pictures on my cell as well when I had it.

Customer :

there is a police report for my purse stolen and car broke open

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

While that is clearly not ideal, it can still be presented as evidence in court, leaving it up to a jury to decide. You may check and see if you have the receipt or check your credit card statement to see if you can find the CVS charge.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer :

no thankyou.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
one more thing.... I had a bruise on my arm .. is it sufficient for such charges.
Yes, but only misdemeanor charges.
still 2 year period for misdemeanor charges
Yes.
what are the consequenses of misdemeanor charges
Up to 6 months in jail, a fine up to $1,000, or both.
can a civil case be also filed to claim damages at the same time. Please advice.
Yes. Also, a criminal case can award restitution for medical costs.
I also had to take a restraining order aganst him. I had a big bruise and I took some medicine at home. later he filed divorce which is still costing so much attorney fees, can I ask for some of this fee? also I have a letter from my collegue who actually saw the bruise. would that help??
The attorney's fees are a matter to be settled in the divorce case. Yes, the colleague would be a good witness.

as i mentioned I got TRO restraning orders against him and my request to restraining orders mentioned about the bruise and how I got it. would this help my case

Yes, it will help bolster your credibility. You really need to report this to the police and tell them everything that went on. They will help you gather the necessary evidence.

Hi, I asked one attorney andI am told tha statue of limitation for domestic violenc is one year. Please clarify?

The statute of limitation for a civil suit is two years:
California Code of Civil procedure 335.1. states:

Within two years: An action for assault, battery, or
injury to, or for the death of, an individual caused by the wrongful
act or neglect of another.
so I cannot go to police now and press charges??? Please advice?
That is correct. I apologize for the confusion, but the civil statute of limitations is 2 years and the criminal is 1. This is an unusual circumstance, as most states allow a longer statute of limitations for criminal cases than civil. Don't let this discourage you from pursuing a civil case, though. That will allow you to get certain information in court which can be used to help you in your divorce case.
how can a civil case help me .. can you please ellaborate.

You may need to discuss strategy with your attorney, but, in theory, if you begin a suit for assault, you will be able to put on evidence related to that assault in court, which can be used in your divorce case (if I recall correctly, you are going through a divorce from him). You may also be able to put this evidence on during your divorce case itself, so there may be no advantage to doing it as a separate case. Also, you can get restitution for your injuries related to the assault in the civil suit.

I hope that answers your question. If so, please click the "Accept" button. Good luck.

in this case there was never a hearing on the domestic violence, there was a child custody evaluation as well , I showed the evaluator my pictures but again as no police report was done so she did not conclude DV . And the judge is going with the evaluator so far. can something be done in the civil court to confirm the violence and sue him for my sufferings, also he is going to the family court again and again to get the restraining orders removed, can I do something via civil case not family to ensure I would have restraining orders against him.... currently through family court I have non clets can I get clets through civil proceedings .

You can institute a civil case for assault. During that case, you will be able to put on evidence of your assault. Then, a judge or jury will make a finding whether or not an assault occurred and, if it did, award damages. You can then take the finding in that civil case and introduce it into your divorce case or any other proceeding where it may be relevant.

If my answers to your questions outside of the scope of your original question have been helpful please click the "Accept" button.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
What is the time limit to press charges against an
What is the time limit to press charges against an individual for domestic assault that includes biting and hitting with an object that leaves bite marks, whelps and bruises.… read more
Attorney,
Can I file domestic violence without pressing charges. Not
Can I file domestic violence without pressing charges … read more
Attorney,
I was arrested from my home last thursday I went to speak to
I was arrested from my home last thursday I went to speak to my cousin about her sister and her husband dragged me out of house by my hair punched me in the head so i went home they called poice and i… read more
DanLegal
DanLegal
Law Partner,
Stop searching for answers—
My spouse was just arrested for domestic assault bodily
My spouse was just arrested for domestic assault bodily injury. The incident occurred two and half months ago. I placed a police report the day of the assault. I had a bruised chin, ankle, and foot. I… read more
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Managing Attorney,
My boyfriend got arrested violence. It was a night where
My boyfriend got arrested for domestic violence. It was a night where things got out of control, it will never happen again and we just want to move on from this. The cops were called I told them he h… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
I called 911 to report a dispute between my husband and I.
I called 911 to report a dispute between my husband and I. I reported that I punched my husband in the arm in anger and that he then choked me. I grabbed a kithchen knife and told my husband to leave … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My 5 yr. year old great grandson was found with bruises on
My 5 yr. year old great grandson was found with bruises on his face and shoulder, which was reported to the CPS office. I was notified by the school that they were looking for the mother because the c… read more
max713
max713
Lawyer, Mediator, Partner, and COO,
about Feb 1, my husband, a radiology technologist was charged
about Feb 1, my husband, a radiology technologist was charged with aggrevated assault for spanking our 2 year old grandaughter. He did not do it in anger, but used a spanking board and left bruises...… read more
Meigs
Meigs
Attorney,
Hi: Last month my husband and I got into an argument. Things
Hi: Last month my husband and I got into an argument. Things got heated and he threw me to the ground, we both slapped eachother. I called the police. The police came, arrested him in front of our hou… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Attorney & Counselor,
My husband was arrested for drunk in public right outside our
My husband was arrested for drunk in public right outside our house at 4am. When the police knocked on my door they asked if we had been in a fight earlier that day and also asked about bruises and cu… read more
Joseph
Joseph
Attorney,
my husband was arrested for domestic violence, hitting me.
my husband was arrested for domestic violence, hitting me. we been married 4 years, i am a US citizen, he's a permanent resident. i am not pressing charges, they took pictures of my bruises, can he ge… read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
My boyfriend spanked my 2 year old daughter last week and apparently
My boyfriend spanked my 2 year old daughter last week and apparently left a mark, a bruise, (that I have not seen). My ex and I share custody and both see her daily. He kept her on Friday, filed a DVP… read more
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
Im a 21 year old college student and had been dating my boyfriend
I'm a 21 year old college student and had been dating my boyfriend for four months. One night we argued and he resorted to harsh name calling, my gut reaction was to slap him. A few weeks later anothe… read more
Lawyer,
my boyfriend is in prison now, his release date was may 15
my boyfriend is in prison now, his release date was may 15 2009. back in february there was a referal to the DA on a asult to peace officer. he has 2 strikes now . what are the chances of him getting … read more
Lawyer,
My sister is going thru a very rough divorce. She has been
My sister is going thru a very rough divorce. She has been abused for the 12 years of her marriage and is trying to get out now. There is a no contact order by the state atty on her husband. I agreed … read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
My husband was assaulted by another man & went to the hospital,
My husband was assaulted by another man & went to the hospital, suffering with 2 black eyes, a broken blood vessel in one eye, a sprained finger & a few lumps and bruises. He was hit with fists & kick… read more
Partner,
My husband was in the passenger seat and I was driving my ...
My husband was in the passenger seat and I was driving my two daughters and her 13 year old best friend was in the back seat my husband reached back and grabbed my daughters leg playing with her and h… read more
What is a first time assault and battery punishment?
WHAT WILL A FIRST TIME ASSAULT AND BATTERY CHARGE BE.. i DIDNT FILE A POLICE REPORT AGAINST HIM, AND HAD TO WAIT A COUPLE WEEKS TO FILE. HE HAS NO PRIORS...i DO HAVE WITNESSES AND PICTURES OF MY BRUIS… read more
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Certified Mediator,