How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested last week for Theft 111. I took $8.57 worth

Customer Question

I was arrested last week for Theft 111. I took $8.57 worth of candy very stupid I know.I was told at the time that this was less of a crime than a speeding ticket. Now Im hearing -from the court house by who ever it was that answered the phone that I have to have an attorney.
Not that this is an excuse but I have been talking to my psychologist(for 1 year,but I have always had one) about it since the last time I got caught but not arrested. But I have been arrested for it before, 8-9 years ago and then last year, but I dont think I got a ticket.)She says that I have Dissociative Disorder and Bipolar disorder with lack of impulse control ( among others) I was just put on a new med called Depakote today for bi-polar Doc said it should help calm me down.
Do I need an attorney for this and should I bring papers that document my illness or not. My first appearance is 12/8/10
Should I have a lawyer to represent me and or bring up my mental condition. I just got on the Oreon health plan, so I can get insurance now, but I certian they dont cover lawyers.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 6 years ago.

Even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription

I only get paid if you click Accept.

Thank you for your question!

Theft 3 is a Class C misdemeanor, punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a fine of up to $1250. Theft 3 is not like a traffic ticket. It is a crime.

You do need to retain an attorney to represent you. You will want to disclose your psychological issue to your attorney so that he can evaluate the impact on your case. In some instances, a psychological disorder may present an individual with a defense to the intent element of the crime which can provide a defense.

Please do not shoot the messenger.
If you need clarification, please feel free to ask using the
Reply feature.

I only get paid if you click Accept, even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription. Bonuses are greatly appreciated, though bonuses are entirely at your discretion.




Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney using, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).