How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter was a passenger in a car. She was charged with

This answer was rated:

My daughter was a passenger in a car. She was charged with Open Container. All passengers were 19 years old. The driver was charged with DUI test showed .02 and she claimed the open container. Th officers said my daughter showed a trace of alcohol but wasn't charged with alcohol offense. What should I do? This is in Alabama, Dekalb County

Dear JACUSTOMER - Since your daughter is an adult there's not much you can do except hire a lawyer if you can afford it. If you can't then she needs to get one appointed by the court since it will be based on her financial condition, not yours as to whether she qualifies for a court appointed attorney. She should not talk to anyone about the case except for a lawyer.


When she appears in court she should plead not guilty and this will get the case into the court system and give her attorney an opportunity to discuss the case with the prosecutor and the judge to explore the possibility of a dismissal or a reduction of the charges. If the cop didn't actually catch your daughter holding the open container then the argument can be made that the driver is responsible for the car and its contents, not the passengers.


Obviously I have not read the police report and I do not have all the facts but your daughter needs to remain silent and get a lawyer. Every defense lawyer in America will tell you the same thing.


Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you