How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in New Mexico and was arrested for a petty misdemeanor.

Customer Question

I live in New Mexico and was arrested for a petty misdemeanor. The misdemeanor was not done in police presence. I was trying to stop a fight that my wife was involved in. They charged me with two battey counts that i pushed a two security guards, when i was trying to get to my wife. I was already sitting in my truck when the police arrived. One of the guards is married to the officer that was on the scene and working. Conflict of intrest?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 6 years ago.

Even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription

I only get paid if you click Accept.

Thank you for your question!

An officer should typically try to avoid involvement with family and friends when responding to a call. Typically, it may be prudent for such an officer to let other officers handle the matter.

That said, an officer is not prohibited from being involved in a matter that also involves the officer's friends or family. While such involvement could serve as a helpful to a defense attorney when trying to discredit an officer's testimony, an officer's relationship with an involved party doesn't automatically defeat criminal charges.

Please do not shoot the messenger.
If you need clarification, please feel free to ask using the
Reply feature.

I only get paid if you click Accept, even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription. Bonuses are greatly appreciated, though bonuses are entirely at your discretion.




Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney using, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

Related Criminal Law Questions