How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26857
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi my name is daniel xxxx i was convicted of a felony 23 yrs

Resolved Question:

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX i was convicted of a felony 23 yrs ago ive tried for a pardon 2yrs ago got in front of commity at wiscosin state capitol and pleaded my heart out and was denied i was repsented by a lawyer he really do much for me at all i need a second chance what do i do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

Pardons are always discretionary, as states have a vested interest in wanting their criminal convictions to stick. The overwhelming majority of applications for pardons get denied, with or without a lawyer. Much depends upon the nature of the offense, the extent of any opposition by the court, prosecutor and the victim, if any, and his family, how long ago the conviction took place, whether an applicant has had further contact with the law, how productively you've spent your life since your conviction, and how generously the governor sitting in office wishes to exercise his pardon power.

In Wisconsin, if your pardon is denied, you can reapply 18 months after the date of the denial. You can do this with or without a lawyer, so if you've already got copies of what was submitted last time, you can update what's necessary simply add what was prepared with fresh recommendations. There's no magic formula, except that, so long as you stay out of trouble with the law, time is on your side.

You would need to apply to Wisconsin's Pardon Advisory Board. You can find their contact information here.

Edited by FranL on 12/2/2010 at 12:11 AM EST
Zoey_ JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you