Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

Someone provided writing, editing, scanning, and other services

Someone provided writing, editing, scanning, and other services (paying bills, preparing paperwork for taxes) for a 86-yr-old senior/author during a 4-yr period. All billing/invoices were paid for by the senior's personal checks. Then 3 years after the final payment, police question the person who now lives outside the US saying that the person fooled an old man out of $100K and so the person provides copies of all billed invoices to the police to show good faith. Then 6 months later, police call again to say a report was filed against the person now named offender, and now, a few months afterward a summons is unsuccessfully served. Don't know who in the family filed the complaint nor contents of police report.

Should a US criminal defense lawyer be hired to represent the person (who is outside the US) for this situation? Lawyer's fees vary but do you have an idea of a range of fees?

After clearing the person's name, can a lawsuit be filed against the family for defamation? harassment? including expenses incurred to defend? Does an appearance have to be made since the person is out of the country?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  replied 6 years ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Was an arrest warrant issues? Also in what country is the alleged offender residing?

Customer :

As far as we know, don't think so but just a complaint put on the doorstep of previous US residence...now residing in western Canada

Alex Esquire :

Offender should retain a US Criminal attorney as soon as possible and not make any statements or cooperate with the police without this attorney being present.

Alex Esquire :

Also Canada will easily extradite someone to stand criminal trial in the US.

Alex Esquire :

And yes, if someone was charged criminally in the US they do have to appear in court and also might be incarcerated pending bail/bond

Alex Esquire :

Now all of this applies if this is a criminal matter, if this is a civil complaint different rules of procedure would apply, but this person still needs to be represented by an attorney who can sort through through this legal matters.

Alex Esquire :

If I have answered your question please click on the green accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and effort. Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated. Thank you and good luck!

Customer :

So whether it is criminal or civil, there are expenses to pay for lawyer, travel to US, etc., can a lawsuit be filed against the family to get back all these expenses and perhaps more for damages? What are chances of success?

Customer :

What is the range of lawyer fees for defense?

Customer :

How to know if criminal or civil complaint?

Alex Esquire :

1) if you prevail in the civil lawsuit you can ask for attorney's fees but usually would only be awarded if the law suit was found to be frivolous. In criminal case no, because it is the state that is charging this person with a crime not a private party.

Alex Esquire :

2) fees can vary tremendously depending on the type of case and can vary from several thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands and more.

Alex Esquire :

3) complaint that was served would state in what court the action was filed and any attorney should be able to tell you.

Alex Esquire :