JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

How long can you legally be held in jail without being charged

Customer Question

How long can you legally be held in jail without being charged for a crime? I was held for 12 days in jail without being charged in WY, because they didn't know what to charge me for. They set a $10,000.00 cash bond until they could decided. Was this legal? Also, when I finally was sentenced they made my restitution over the $1,000.00 penalty, without even seeing any documentation of the costs.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

As a general matter, when a person is arrested and held, a person can only be constitutionally held for 48 hours before they must appear before a judge/magistrate to be arraigned on the charges.

Anything over 48 hours is presumed to be unconstitutional unless the prosecutor can articulate a really, really good reason why they couldn't make a charging decision within that first 48 hours.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!