How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

California: A gun went off by my fathers had in his home,

This answer was rated:

California: A gun went off by my father's had in his home, the bullet was found in the floor directly down. He said he was cleaning his gun when it went off. But instead he was charged with assault with a deadly weapon and discharge of a firearm. He does not have money for a lawyer, but is saving up. His court date is next week. 2 questions.

1. How does he get the police report from DA if he has not lawyer but wants to see what is going on?

2. Post-pone arraignment until he can afford to get a lawyer?

He wants an attorney, but he cannot afford one but he is expecting to have the money a month after the arraignment, he does not want to loose any opportunities that he would have had, had he had a lawyer upfront.



He can go to court and at this initial hearing he should plead not guilty and request a public defender. That will get him legal counsel and a postponement. At that time, the Public Defender can get the police report



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is that the only way he can get the police report?



He can file his appearance in the matter "pro se" This is done at the court house. Then he can write the police agency noting he has filed his appearance and request the report for discovery purposes.


Then when he goes to court, he needs to plead not guilty, withdraw his appearance and request the public defender



Samuel II and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you