How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34486
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my friends apartment was broken into and land/automobile titles

Resolved Question:

my friend's apartment was broken into and land/automobile titles were stolen as was files containing personal information including social security numbers, date of birth, etc.

I told her she should freeze her credit with the 3 credit agencies to prevent identity theft. what else should she do?

Regarding the land titles and automobile title, what should she do? I imagine report the theft of the titles, but to whom (besides the police)?

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.
She can report the title lost to the Hawaii Secretary of State. They will issue a replacement. With regard to land, there is nothing she needs to do. The deeds are merely evidence of title. It is not necessary to have a deed to own the property once it has been recorded. It is not like a car where the physical title certificate is necessary to convey it. Your friend only needs to contact one credit reporting agency and have them put a fraud alert on her report. The other reporting agencies will be automatically alerted and do the same.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry. The remainder of your answer sounds good apart from the portion about the automobile title. I believe the lost of automobile title should be reported to the city and county department of motor vehicles? In any case, my friend reports she has gotten some good information from the police so I withdraw the question. Sorry for the inconvenience,
Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.
The following link contains information about replacing a lost title:
Loren and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you