Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

MY DAUGHTER WAS RAPED BYE HER OLD BOYFREIND HE 17 AND SHE 16

AND IT A HES SAYS...
MY DAUGHTER WAS RAPED BYE HER OLD BOYFREIND HE 17 AND SHE 16 AND IT A HES SAYS SHE SAID YES AND SHE SAYE SHE SAID NO. SO IM WONDERING IF I CAN PRESS SATITORE RAPE CHARGE ON HI CUZ SHE 16 AND HE 17 AND THE LAW IN COLORRADO IS 17 FOR CONSENT.
11/3/2010
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Yes you are correct that she is underage and can not consent to have sex. The police can charge him with rape. The police should be careful in pressing charges as this is a very serious crime. I understand they are not moving as fast as you wish but they must give him a chance to satisfy their concern as to is they did in fact have sex. It is much easier on your child for the police to do it this way because they may be able to obtain the evidence necessary without subjecting your child what can be a very stressful court situation when she would basically be called a liar in court. Again I know things are not moving as fast as you wish but it is better for your child for the police to take their time to build the case.

The staturory age of consent in Colorado is 17.
There are varying factors that can make the crime more serious or less serious depending on the "difference" in age between the child and the perpetrator. There are also laws specific to "electronic" solicitation of a child via the internet. Three statutes are outlined below.

18-3-404. Unlawful sexual contact.

(1.5) Any person who knowingly, with or without sexual contact, induces or coerces a child by any of the means set forth in section 18-3-402 to expose intimate parts or to engage in any sexual contact, intrusion, or penetration with another person, for the purpose of the actor's own sexual gratification, commits unlawful sexual contact. For the purposes of this subsection (1.5), the term "child" means any person under the age of eighteen years.

18-3-402. Sexual assault.

(1) Any actor who knowingly inflicts sexual intrusion or sexual penetration on a victim commits sexual assault if:

(a) The actor causes submission of the victim by means of sufficient consequence reasonably calculated to cause submission against the victim's will; or

(b) The actor knows that the victim is incapable of appraising the nature of the victim's conduct; or

(c) The actor knows that the victim submits erroneously, believing the actor to be the victim's spouse; or

(d) At the time of the commission of the act, the victim is less than fifteen years of age and the actor is at least four years older than the victim and is not the spouse of the victim; or

(e) At the time of the commission of the act, the victim is at least fifteen years of age but less than seventeen years of age and the actor is at least ten years older than the victim and is not the spouse of the victim; or

(f) The victim is in custody of law or detained in a hospital or other institution and the actor has supervisory or disciplinary authority over the victim and uses this position of authority to coerce the victim to submit, unless the act is incident to a lawful search; or

(g) The actor, while purporting to offer a medical service, engages in treatment or examination of a victim for other than a bona fide medical purpose or in a manner substantially inconsistent with reasonable medical practices; or

(h) The victim is physically helpless and the actor knows the victim is physically helpless and the victim has not consented.

(2) Sexual assault is a class 4 felony, except as provided in subsections (3), (3.5), (4), and (5) of this section.

(3) If committed under the circumstances of paragraph (e) of subsection (1) of this section, sexual assault is a class 1 misdemeanor and is an extraordinary risk crime that is subject to the modified sentencing range specified in section 18-1.3-501 (3).

(3.5) Sexual assault is a class 3 felony if committed under the circumstances described in paragraph (h) of subsection (1) of this section.

(4) Sexual assault is a class 3 felony if it is attended by any one or more of the following circumstances:

(a) The actor causes submission of the victim through the actual application of physical force or physical violence; or

(b) The actor causes submission of the victim by threat of imminent death, serious bodily injury, extreme pain, or kidnapping, to be inflicted on anyone, and the victim believes that the actor has the present ability to execute these threats; or

(c) The actor causes submission of the victim by threatening to retaliate in the future against the victim, or any other person, and the victim reasonably believes that the actor will execute this threat. As used in this paragraph (c), "to retaliate" includes threats of kidnapping, death, serious bodily injury, or extreme pain; or

(d) The actor has substantially impaired the victim's power to appraise or control the victim's conduct by employing, without the victim's consent, any drug, intoxicant, or other means for the purpose of causing submission.

(e) (Deleted by amendment, L. 2002, p. 1578, § 2, effective July 1, 2002.)

(5) (a) Sexual assault is a class 2 felony if any one or more of the following circumstances exist:

(I) In the commission of the sexual assault, the actor is physically aided or abetted by one or more other persons; or

(II) The victim suffers serious bodily injury; or

(III) The actor is armed with a deadly weapon or an article used or fashioned in a manner to cause a person to reasonably believe that the article is a deadly weapon or represents verbally or otherwise that the actor is armed with a deadly weapon and uses the deadly weapon, article, or representation to cause submission of the victim.
(b) (I) If a defendant is convicted of sexual assault pursuant to this subsection (5), the court shall sentence the defendant in accordance with section 18-1.3-401 (8) (e). A person convicted solely of sexual assault pursuant to this subsection (5) shall not be sentenced under the crime of violence provisions of section 18-1.3-406 (2). Any sentence for a conviction under this subsection (5) shall be consecutive to any sentence for a conviction for a crime of violence under section 18-1.3-406.

(II) The provisions of this paragraph (b) shall apply to offenses committed prior to November 1, 1998.
(6) Any person convicted of felony sexual assault committed on or after November 1, 1998, under any of the circumstances described in this section shall be sentenced in accordance with the provisions of part 10 of article 1.3 of this title.

18-3-405. Sexual assault on a child.

(1) Any actor who knowingly subjects another not his or her spouse to any sexual contact commits sexual assault on a child if the victim is less than fifteen years of age and the actor is at least four years older than the victim.
(2) Sexual assault on a child is a class 4 felony, but it is a class 3 felony if:

(a) The actor applies force against the victim in order to accomplish or facilitate sexual contact; or

(b) The actor, in order to accomplish or facilitate sexual contact, threatens imminent death, serious bodily injury, extreme pain, or kidnapping against the victim or another person, and the victim believes that the actor has the present ability to execute the threat; or

(c) The actor, in order to accomplish or facilitate sexual contact, threatens retaliation by causing in the future the death or serious bodily injury, extreme pain, or kidnapping against the victim or another person, and the victim believes that the actor will execute the threat; or

(d) The actor commits the offense as a part of a pattern of sexual abuse as described in subsection (1) of this section. No specific date or time must be alleged for the pattern of sexual abuse; except that the acts constituting the pattern of sexual abuse, whether charged in the information or indictment or committed prior to or at any time after the offense charged in the information or indictment, shall be subject to the provisions of section 16-5-401 (1) (a), C.R.S., concerning sex offenses against children. The offense charged in the information or indictment shall constitute one of the incidents of sexual contact involving a child necessary to form a pattern of sexual abuse as defined in section 18-3-401 (2.5).

(3) If a defendant is convicted of the class 3 felony of sexual assault on a child pursuant to paragraphs (a) to (d) of subsection (2) of this section, the court shall sentence the defendant in accordance with the provisions of section 18-1.3-406.

IM sorry im not trying to be difficut but im not sure what that allment. if i filed statchitor rape charege on him do you think they would charge him with a felony 3 or 4 . i trying to let the police do there job but she said if he dosnt come in and his mom dosnt sign they cant talk to him or arrest him. so im check out my othe opttions.
You are not being difficult.
I can not say what they will charge him with but they can still charge him if he does not come in to talk. You have two choices of either talking to someone higher up in the police department and/or contact a local personal injury attorney for a civil suit.
while the detectave side if he dosent come in she will have to see if it worth charge him at all because they only like to do case that they can win or think they can win so will i beable to charge him if she decide it not a good case. will i beable to file a warrent for hi to be arrested for satichitor rape.
You can only obtain a warrant if criminal charges are filed.
Please reread my prior post because you only have two options
of either talking to someone higher up in the police department and/or
suing civilly.
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions