Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

I have to undergo a Sex Offender polygraph test in the state

Customer Question

I have to undergo a Sex Offender polygraph test in the state of New York as part of my treatment yet it is not listed in the terms of my probation. What I want to know is can I

1. Be violated for failing the poly
2. Be violated for admiting anything in the poly, examples such using alcohol, viewing porn.

As I understand it is a treatment tool and the only way you can be violated is if you are caught red handed with this contracband. Can someone please explain the polygraph and how it is used in court if at all.

Thanks
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Alex Esquire :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex Esquire :

Are you a registered sex offender?

Alex Esquire :

Are you online?

Customer:

No I am not registered

Customer:

I have a mis that was pled. down from a fel.

Alex Esquire :

To answer your question, the treatment center will report back to your Probation officer and the polygraph can be used in some cases at your violation hearing.

Customer:

But can you be violated on a polygraph alone?

Alex Esquire :

This polygraph tests are often used to show the judge that you failing your treatment plan and you are not being honest and forthcoming.

Alex Esquire :

In most cases no, but it was done before, usually the poly results would have to be supported by some additional evidence

Alex Esquire :

So generally an assumption that you have to be caught "red handed with banned items" is incorrect

Alex Esquire :

Do you have any additional related questions?

Customer:

are you there sir?

Alex Esquire :

yes I am here

Alex Esquire :

As far as being violated to admitting to watching porno or drinking alcohol, that would depend on whether the conditions of your probation were prohibiting you from doing it?

Alex Esquire :

If I have answered your question please click on the green accept button as this is the only way I get compensated for my time and efforts. Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated. Thank You.