Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was arrested for possession with intent to deliver in 1981

it was a felony. I...
I was arrested for possession with intent to deliver in 1981 it was a felony. I never been in trouble since then I'm now 50 yrs. old what are my chances owning a gun for hunting in Texas.I've been a law abiding citizen for 28 years.
11/2/2010
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Was the conviction in TX? If not in what state?
Wisconsin
Thanks

SO this makes it a bit more complex.

WI law provides for automatic restoration of rights after you finish your sentence...so in theory you could hunt in WI.

You can see the statute here

The problem is the conviction of the felony makes it illegal to possess a gun under both federal and TX state law.

SO to truly have the right to "bear arms" you need to get the charged erased. Since this was a felony, the only way is to apply for a pardon.

You can do so here

If you can convince WI to pardon the offense, then you can hunt

Let me know if you have more questions
P. Simmons, Lawyer
P. Simmons, Lawyer