How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27129
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am U.S. citizen. I have a 3 year old son Cesar. My ex Oscar

Customer Question

I am U.S. citizen. I have a 3 year old son Cesar. My ex Oscar (Cesars biological father) was a citizen of Mexico. He was deported last summer (July 2009) back to mexico. I recently learned that on September 21,2010 Oscar was kidnapped from his home in Palma Grande, Nayarit Mexico by a group of armed men. Soon there after (within hours) his body was found lifeless with 5 bullet wounds to his head. Our family has learned some very important details about his death. However the police officials in his hometown (where the incident occurred) are doing nothing to further investigate. We have strong reason to believe this was an act of organized crime, and also were 90% sure of who is responsible for his death. As an American citizen is there anything I can do to have this event further investigated by U.S. Officials or even Mexican Officials?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

While this is a most unfortunate incident, it is one over which the US would not have any jurisdiction to bring your ex's murderer to justice. While you can certainly file some kind of a report with the FBI and even with Interpol, this is a Mexican matter, and it's there where the authorities would have to pursue this.

You're unlikely to be able to trigger any kind of an investigation with a phone call to a police department. That wouldn't be enough to get charges pressed even in your local prosecutor's office let alone begin an investigation in a foreign country.

Try calling the US Embassy in Mexico and see if they can be of any assistance to you. They should at least be able to point you somewhere above the local precinct level and to help you cut through some of the red tape.