How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31768
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested 8/20/2010 for DUI in the state of Alaska, where

This answer was rated:

I was arrested 8/20/2010 for DUI in the state of Alaska, where I am licensed. I am not yet convicted, but likely will be. I am 62, semi-retired and have a CDL. I had an impeccable driving record and personal record and have never been in trouble of any kind. I travel extensively and live most of the time in Mexico. My problem is that my significant other lives in Victoria Canada and I will be unable to be with her in Canada for 5 years. She is unwilling to move to Mexico or the US full time. We were planning on spending part of the year, maybe up to 6 months in Canada and the other in Mexico, Alaska or traveling. Do I have any avenues to pursue?

DUI's are monitored so closely by MADD, SADD, etc., it is practically impossible to have a DUI dropped, remanded, etc. The only way you can get around this is if you find a defense to the charges, a flaw in the ticket, procedure, testing, etc.


This can be done by having a good DUI lawyer review your paperwork to see if there is a technicality you can expose and use to get out of this.


You must act extremely quickly, however, to get this done.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am well aware of the information that you sent. My question is how can I get into Canada with a DUI on my record other than waiting 5 years

Understood. Maybe I was a little unclear.


The only way to avoid this is to beat the DUI. Otherwise, you're going to have to wait it out.


You cannot have a DUI expunged in Alaska, so your only chance to beat the 5 year period is to beat the ticket.

Roger and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is sad, how an ordinary citizen is turned into a convict so easily.

Public interest groups have come down so hard on driving under the influence that legislatures and courts are pressured into increasing penalties, etc.


It is unfortunate, but the squeaky wheel gets the oil!