How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34941
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a misdemeaner dwi in 2001 and got deferred sentencing.

Resolved Question:

I received a misdemeaner dwi in 2001 and got deferred sentencing. I subsequently became ill and was in a coma in 2002 at which time a warrant was issued as I was unable to report or contact my supervision officer. I had never been in trouble prior to this and have been in no trouble in the past 8 years. is this warrant still in effect or can I go get my license? I did not have a texas license at the time I had an Oklahoma license which obviously has since expired.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist on this matter. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience in criminal law.

SO was this warrant issued as a result of your not completing the requirements of sentence from the 2001 DUI?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes. I had some brain damage as a result of the coma and it took a while to get my bearings at which time I tried for about 3 weeks to contact m supervision officer. when I finally got to talk to someone my officer was no longer there and the replacment said that she hadd sent my file over to the da the previous day. I again tried to make contact with no luck and finally gave up in frustration.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago. it sounds like you are in violation of probation. The only way to fix this is to return to the court that issued the probation and turn yourself in to "clear" the warrant. Then the court can resolve this case.

It may be you can still keep the "deferred adjudication"...but it may be since you did not complete the probation that refuse to defer the conviction.

Regardless, the only way to resolve this is to present yourself to the court and answer to the warrant.

Its unlikely any state will grant you a license unless or until you resolve this.

The good news is since this was a misdemeanor and since it seems you have a decent reason for not failing, I suspect it will be easy to clear it up.

You really should have a local attorney assist with this (local to the state where you pled guilty)

Let me know if you have more questions
P. Simmons and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you