lwpat
lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney
15417118

New York State I have recently ended a rocky relationship.

Customer Question

New York State:
I have recently ended a rocky relationship. Now the other party is threatening that if I go to the same bars/clubs as him he will have me arrested for stalking? What should I do? I have had no contact with him since he started threatening me. I want to move on with my life but I don't want to become a hermit either.
I did engage in some text harrasment after he would tell me to leave me alone then he would taunt me to pull me back in. I got off the back and forth craziness and now I am left in this mess. I also need to find out if I have a warrant. How do I find out if I have a warrant without going to a police department?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Subscription customers. An ACCEPT is credited to me but you are not charged. Followup questions WILL be answered if my first answer is acceptable.

It is doubtful that you have a warrant but there is not other way to know for sure except to contact law enforcement or have your attorney do it for you. The main thing you need to do is to change your number and not to make any further calls to that person. Then I am sure that there are plenty of other places for you to go other than the ones you frequented together.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The answer is incomplete:
Do I have a legal right to go to the same places he does?
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Unless there is a restraining order the answer is yes you do. Is that likely to result in a restraining order, yes it is.