Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

what can happen to one who downloads and views illegal porn,

Customer Question
but then deletes it?...
what can happen to one who downloads and views illegal porn, but then deletes it?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/1/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Barrister, Criminal Defense Law replied 7 years ago
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

If someone is criminally charged with receiving or possession illegal pornography in the US, they can face from 5 to 30 years in prison along with substantial fines. Additionally they will likely have to register as a sex offender for life and have a felony sex offense on their record.

.

Most internet sites that have such material place a "cookie" deep in a person's computer that is extremely hard to delete and criminal forensic computer experts can normally recover any type of image or video because it is stored forever on the computer hard drive as a file.

.

However, if you accidentally viewed or downloaded such material, there are computer programs that will entirely erase any deleted images or files using forensic cleaning techniques. One such commmercial program is Drivescrubber which meets U.S. Department of Defense 5220.22-M disk-sanitizing standards and also all known government and military specs.

.

So if there is a chance you have accidentally downloaded illegal material, it would be wise to purchase a type of forensic deletion software to ensure that there is nothing incriminating on your hard drive.

.

.

thanks

Lawpro

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law