How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27467
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello , I got caught with 3 vicodin in Alturas CA. . What is

Resolved Question:

Hello , I got caught with 3 vicodin in Alturas CA. . What is the sentance ? Fine , jailtime ? Will you send the answer to this page please . I lost my Gmail password
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer,

According to Health and Safety Code Section 11350 Possession of vicodin in California is a felony. The state would be required to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you knowingly and intentionally possessed it (or had it in your custody and control) without a valid prescription. Upon conviction, a defendant would face up to 3 years of state prison. However, there are non-incarceratory plea possibilities for a first offense, and most first time defendants would be eligible for Proposition 36 or PC 1000 drug diversion. Either would allow for you to come out of this without a criminal record.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the answer . It's my first offense , and I had three . What do you think the sentance will be . The officer said it was a misdomenor .
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

Whether misdemeanor or felony, the first arrest for a possessory drug arrest usually results in a treatment-oriented dispostion. I would suspect that a diversion program would be the likely offer here: drug counseling/fines/community service/brief period of probation. At the end of it, if you do all you're supposed to, the charges are dismissed and you won't carry around a criminal record.
Zoey_ JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you