How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexCrimLawyer, J.D. Your Own Question
TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4827
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
TexCrimLawyer, J.D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My neice age 46 was just accused of sexual abuse by her 16

Customer Question

My neice age 46 was just accused of sexual abuse by her 16 yr old daughter. Her daughter had a friend commit suicide and then she started talking about commiting suicde herself. After being handcuffed and arrested 3 times and taken to a Mental Ward - she also was on RX drugs who knows what all including pot. Her parents during this time went to counseling as a family and when they suggested if their daughter could get more help and stay at a place longer than 3 days their daughter got angry and then accused her mother of sexual abuse. My neice has spent 2 days in jail cannot see her grandchildren, couldn't go to work and now waiting to be formaly accused. She cannot see her daughter - doesn't know what is happening to her - she might be sent to the State Hospital. They can't afford a lawyer. The lawyer they did go see said that they should separate and get a Public Defender. It is a big mess - cannot get any answers from anybody. I'm afraid for my neice that she could really end up in prison. I believe this is all about an angry teenager that doesn't know what to do with her hurt and struck out at her mom. She is the baby of the family and has always been close to both her parents.
Thank you for your help
Concerned Aunt
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

What is your question?

JACUSTOMER-5v20jtbl- : I didn't get your answer
JACUSTOMER-5v20jtbl- : Did you read what I wrote?
JACUSTOMER-5v20jtbl- : What should we do? Is this normal procedure?
JACUSTOMER-5v20jtbl- : What should we do? You have the story now what is your advise?
TexCrimLawyer, J.D. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 6 years ago.
I didn't get your reply to my question. Please re-post it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where do I get my answer? I click answer and all that comes up is my question - NO answer!!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I couldn't find the answer you gave. Please direct me to where to get it - Help.
I couldn't find the answer you gave. Please direct me to where to get it - Help
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 6 years ago.
If they cannot afford a lawyer, the court will appoint one for them. As far as not being able to see her daughter, that is standard procedure.

It is unlikely she will be formally charged before the police speak to her. In cases like this, the police almost always at least attempt to speak to the suspect before proceeding with formal charges. From what you've told me, it seems unlikely that they will file charges, absent some forensic evidence.

There isn't much you can do at this point. Just let the judicial process work. I know it can seem slow, but it almost always comes to the just result.

Related Criminal Law Questions