JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

I have a 19 year old embezzlement conviction and 2 misdemeanor

I have a 19 year old embezzlement conviction and 2 misdemeanor convictions for worthless checks, which are 23 years old. I want to return to school to become a teacher. I can not find anything in the NC statues that would allow an expunction for a felony conviction. Would it behove me to apply for a NC pardon? Would having this applied to my record help when it comes to professional licensing?
Chat Conversation Started
JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

As a general matter, when a person has multiple convictions, they are not eligible for an expungement in North Carolina.

JB Umphrey :

You may find this link to be informative: http://www.ncsu.edu/stud_affairs/legal_services/legaldocs/ExpungeSheet.htm

Customer :

I will check the link out. Thanks.

JB Umphrey :

To seek a pardon in NC, you can contact the governor's office here:

JB Umphrey :

Governor's Clemency Office
4294 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, N.C. NNN-NN-NNNN
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr> e-mail: [email protected]

JB Umphrey :

Good luck and best wishes.

JB Umphrey :

I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

Customer :

So basically even with the length of time since the conviction, and not ever even having so much as a speeding ticket since there probably is not much I can do

JB Umphrey :

That may be a fair assessment.

JB Umphrey :

The age of the offenses do work in your favor but I am in no way able to speculate on what the governor's office would do.

JB Umphrey :

Please let me know if I can be of additional assistance.

Customer :

Well, thanks for the information. I am sure no one can ever speculate on what anyone in the government will do with any certainty. It won't hurt to try. Thank you for the information. Have a good weekend.