Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

i was arrested 3 years ago in florida for aggravated asault

i was arrested 3 years ago in florida for aggravated asault and my conviction was adjuticated. I am not on probation but still have a no contact with my ex wife in effect. My pending roommate owns a gun and i want to know if they are allowed to move in with me with their gun.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
If you have a felony conviction, you cannot be in a place where there is a gun. If you are caught in a premises with a gun, then you can be charged and convicted for being a felon with a firearm, even if it is not yours, based on constructive possession. Thus, your roommate having a gun on the premises where you live would be considered constructive possession and would cause you problems if for some reason the police ever had to come to the property (even if it were for something where you were a victim, such as a burglary).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not have a felony conviction. The judge withheld adjutification due to no past record. Under those conditions could my roommate pocess a gun?
The Domestic No contact order also prohibits it (based on the Federal law), so you would be in violation of that order as well, but it would be a contempt of court and not a felon with a firearm. If your roommate keeps the gun in a locked box and you have no key then you should be fine, but it is still something that could at the least get you pulled into court.

Edited by PaulMJD on 10/1/2010 at 3:02 PM EST