How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13658
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a doctor or in this case is a doctors assistance (PA) which

Resolved Question:

If a doctor or in this case is a doctors assistance (PA) which is short for phisician assistance lies about a patient saying they complained about all the doctors they saw & lied saying that I cursed several times about my dissadisfaction & spread it around that I was a drug user but had quit the drug seen about 10 years after I told him therefore folks would think I was a drug user thru my 40s when in fact I quit in my mid 30s & all the cocaine I've done in my life could fit in a tablespoon. Being accused of being a schitzophrenic when I'm not & more than one doctor said I'm not & so did a judge who is hooked up with the board of Industrial Appeals, (BIIA). Schizohphrenics don't have a good work ethic...I do so being accused of one to strangers is defamation of character isn't it? Could I get this PA arrested & how much could I get if I sued? This has been going on for about 4 1/2 years unknown to me because i see a PA once a month which is required by labor & industry about an accident. How long is the statue of limitations? This happened in Washington state so you'l need to use Washington laws.

Best regards,
Steve Massey
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Defamation isn't a criminal offense, so a person can't be arrested for it. However, you can sue a person for defamation of character. Defamation occurs when a party makes a false statement or statements to a third party either negligently or intentionally and it results in damages to you. Defamation can be spoken (slander) or written (libel). The amount of money you might recover depends on the extent of your damages. For example, if you lose your job over statements that are made, you could have a claim for lost wages, plus costs and attorney fees. Defamation cases are very difficult to win, however, and often times the recovery is low. It's not unusual for the cost of the case to outweigh the amount a person might recover.

The statute of limitations to bring a claim is two years from when the statement was made.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE. If you have additional questions, please click on REPLY (not "Re-list") and I will be happy to assist you further.Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was wondering how much I could get if I sued? When I went to the hospital & got copies of my records so this is in wrtiting & has been going on for years. I would have no way of knowing who all said what to who thinking this wrong info is true when it isn't.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.
It's impossible for me to say without knowing all the facts, and it really depends on what damages you suffered. For example, did you lose a job as a result? End up suffering severe depression and needing months of medication and counseling? I will tell you that these cases are difficult to prove, and without some form of substantial injury, you'd likely recover nominal damages -less than the amount of your legal fees.
RobertJDFL and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I apologize for not responding sooner. I had an appointment. For now I don't have much money to work with because of this accident otherwise I'd give ya a bonus. Thanks very much.



Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.
Not a problem at all. All the best to you. I appreciate the "Accept" earlier and hope you'll continue to use our service in the future.

Have a great weekend!