RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I have a lingering concern that refuses to go away. I have

I have a lingering concern that refuses to go away. I have known a woman for 18 months, much younger (about 30), I am over 60. It has been platonic, occasionally I have purchased her gifts on shopping trips, and recently gone out to dinner and lunch a few times. She actually phones or texts me on most days. After dates, she sends me texts thanking me for a good time. She is dependent upon me. I don't know much about her family history. She seems OK. There has no sexual relationship, but occasionally we played wrestling, just fun; I let her win - documented on texts. I have become fearful you could charge me with an assault. There is no evidence, but I read of a case where someone did that belatedly, and used a friend who claimed the woman came home upset after a date with me. I haven't seen her in a week and that is in public for lunch. Is there anything to fear her. Does the time delay make it less likely anyone would believe this, along with my texts. What if I want to break it off? Am I vulnerable. I also asked her to sign a note saying it was also platonic, and I agreed to help her with college. That was my idea not hers. What do I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.
I think you are worrying unnecessarily.

What you are talking about would actually be considered battery. But battery requires "intent" -that is, in order for a person to be found guilty, it has to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that you intended to cause injury or harm. Not only do you have text messages from her, but there are no police reports of injury, nor hospital or doctor reports of injury. In other words, it would be just about impossible for her to say she had been battered by you.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE. If you have additional questions, please click on REPLY (not "Re-list") and I will be happy to assist you further.Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. But that is not my real concern. It is a fraudulent sexual assault charge, although again we never engaged in that. I was worried that she and a friend could make up a story like that.
Well, a lot of what I said still applies. You've been together for 18 months, and that works in your favor. If you had assaulted her or harmed her in some way, why would she continue to socialize with you? There are no police reports, no hospital reports, nothing to indicate you have ever intentionally sexually assaulted her. Additionally, you would have your testimony as to your relationship and the text messages between you.

While I can't say she would never do this (because there are people out there who do), it seems unlikely given how long you've known one another. But if you are truly worried, perhaps the best thing you can do is avoid play wrestling with her in the future.