Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

how long after being arrested does someone have the right see

Customer Question
see their public defender.. state...
how long after being arrested does someone have the right see see their public defender.. state is mississippi. what can you do if the polioce are not giving a inmate their prescribed meds?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/29/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 7 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hi

Well an arrest is not an arraignment and in most cases the PD will not meet with the defendant until that initial hearing, just prior. This is usually based on the fact that the PD is very busy.

There is not much you can do about medications until the defendant is evaluated for any health problems. He can request to meet with the in-house medical staff and they will prescribe and distribute the meds to him as needed. But he has no right to have in his possession any medications while incarcerated.

i understand he cant have the meds, but this is 60 year old man with heart and multiple health problems who has to have medication, seems they are with-holding meds, when they have them to give, isnt that dangerous? seems like it would be illegal

Hi

It is not illegal; but they risk a lawsuit should something terrible happen to this man. So, you can certainly contact them and tell them that if his meds are not properly administered and something happens, you will be prepared to sue and encourage them to mind that he is an elderly man with heart problems

how long after arrest does he have to get arraignment? they set a bond 3 days ago, now saying we cant get him out today because the computers are down??

Hi

Did they set the bond at his arraignment? Or was it set by a commissioner of sorts? In other words, did he go to court when the bond was set?

all i know is a judge set the bond, they do it via camera they say

Hi

Right. That would be an arraignment. So he has had his initial appearance, he plead not guilty, bond was set. It is unfortunate the computers are down. Remember, too, that a lot of times if bond is posted that may preclude the assistance of the public defender as the premise is if you can afford to post bond, you can afford a private attorney.

So I suggest you contact the PD's office and see what they think about posting bond.

so was he supposed to see an attorney before his arraignment? i guess i am confused on the terms....what about the preliminary hearing, is that next? how long before that happens? (we are not able to post the cash bond, some family is doing property bonds for him)

Hi

When is his next court date, do you know?

He does not necessarily see the PD at a Preliminary which is the same as arraignment. His next court date should be his trial and he will see the PD then. Maybe before. It depends on how swamped they are. Has he put his name on a list to have a visit by the PD?

It does not matter how the bond is posted. If it is posted at all, it can hinder his eligibilty for the PD services

You should just contact the PD in your county and they can fully explain all of this for you, perhaps, better than I in this venue. Sometimes a voice conversation is better

well, we did contact the PD the police said was his lawyer all she told us was she didnt have any paperwork on him yet. no nothing of a trial date or anything like that

Hi

I see. Then you just need to be patient. It is up to you to post bond or not. I am only telling what could happen, if you do.

Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law