Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
11182422

how much time does a federal inmate have to serve of a sentence.

how much time does a federal inmate have to serve of a sentence. have they passed a law that is only 67% of sentencing/
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 years ago.
Hello there:

In Federal prison, a defendant/inmate is eligible for "time off for good behavior". The amount allowed is 15% of the defendant's sentence, which comes to about 54 days per year of sentencing. That is just under 1 week off for every 6 served.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My son is looking at 10 to life for meth. Someone told us that a law would be in effect for federal inmates that they would be able to serve 65% of time and be out. Is this true?

Not in the federal system, and not under the current laws. Obviously, the drug laws are some of the most controversial, especially in light of the the federal government's financial system, but there are no concrete changes currently scheduled. There is no way to sugar coat that.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. Just one more question, when my son was arrested he spoke to the feds, but he was pretty out of it and he doesn't remember talking to them or signing anything. Can this hold up in court considering his frame of mine at the time.
Statements against self-interest are generally admissible except if taken during a police interrogation; however, at the very least, his state of mind could impeach (explain away) the credibility of any statement that he made against own self interest. In short, if someone doesn't know what they are saying, it can technically be used against them in most situations, but it isn't going to carry much weight.