How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my brother has been accused of child fondling charges where

Customer Question

my brother has been accused of child fondling charges where we live in indianapolis. The issues we are facing is 1.) he has been unemployed for the past 2 yrs and so currently has no income (though he is aggressively looking for work now more than ever) but he doesn't want his criminal defense to suffer due to his financial suitation. 2.) he has given a statement to the investigating dectective which we now know was a HUGE mistake! he is currently waiting to see if charges will be brought against him. we are just desperate at this time because he continues to maintain his innocence and he just assumes he will have to face time because he can't afford an attorney.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.


While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Sometimes I'm unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you.


Although it's usually five minutes, sometimes there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.


I need the following information before I can answer your question:


Can you please tell me what your legal question is? You forgot to ask one.


Meanwhile, was your brother in custody when he gave his statement? Was he given his Miranda warnings? Who reported your brother to the police?


I'll look forward to hearing from you,


Jane Doe Deer


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he was not in custody when he gave his statement. i do believe his miranda warnings were given and the parent/grandparents of the children reported it to the police. the questions are what can/does he do now if he cant afford a reputable attorney? and is there anything that can be done to prevent charges from being filed?
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.

There is no way to prevent charges from being filed.

However, if your brother cannot afford a criminal defense attorney, the government will provide a free attorney to him.


The local (county) bar association should be able to direct him to where and how to obtain a free attorney.


Sometimes, an attorney is assigned at arraignment. That's when your brother would make his first court appearance and the charges against him are read in court.


It'd be better for him to get hooked into the free public defense system sooner.


Another place to ask is the prosecutor's office. You can call on Monday and just ask for the name and phone number of the agency that provides free legal defense attorneys in your brother's county.


If your brother would be a first time offender, and if the touching was just touching, not rape, it's likely the penalty won't be jail time.


But please assure your brother that every criminal defendant has the right to a free defense attorney.



I'll assume that I have answered your question and will "ACCEPT" my answer unless I hear back from you with follow-up questions.


Bonuses of even a few dollars are much appreciated.




My best,


Jane Doe Deer










Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for your time, you have shed some hope on this situation. i dont know if it helps or hurts the fact that the mother of the children also told the people invloved with the investigation she herself is not sure of the validity of this accusations but felt as a parent it was her obligation to report it. she's concern though because in the past the children have lied (nothing to this extent) but severe lying and stealing has occurred with the child that first brought forth this acccustations.
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.

I'm not happy to hear of children lying, but that certainly helps your brother's case!