How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13878
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my daughter was charged with petty theft in the state of fl

Resolved Question:

my daughter was charged with petty theft in the state of fl at the age of 17 -- do I need to hire a lawyer?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 years ago.
Your daughter should at least consult with a lawyer as a conviction can result in her having a possible criminal record.

Petty theft can be charged as a first degree or second degree misdemeanor. If the property stolen is valued between $100 and $299, then she will be charged with a 1st Degree Misdemeanor, which carries a maximum penalty of 1 year in jail and a $1000 fine. If the property stolen is valued at less than $100, then she will be charged with a 2nd Degree Misdemeanor, with a maximum sentence of 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.

While it's unlikely she would get jail time for a petty offense (probation and a fine is more likely), a person should always talk to a lawyer to go over the case as there may be defenses to the charges or because the attorney may be able to negotiate a plea with the prosecutor.

Before you click accept, if you have additional questions or need clarification, please click on REPLY (not "Re-list") and I will be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you have a subscription or deposit). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is there a possibility that trying to have a lawyer negotiate would lead to a worse result than if we just go in by ourselves to the court date?

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 years ago.
Anything is possible, but also highly unlikely. In my experience, having a lawyer in a criminal matter can only help. State attorneys expect negotiations to take place. That being said, I understand this is a minor misdemeanor -if you daughter simply intends to plea to the judge and let them decide punishment, she can do that. Especially if this is a first offense, the court isn't going to "throw the book at her" so to speak.
RobertJDFL and 8 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you