How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A relative of mine owes $10,000+ in financial remuneration

Resolved Question:

A relative of mine owes $10,000+ in financial remuneration to Pierce County Superior Court in Tacoma WA as the result of a 1994 felony conviction. He has not made any payments and in 2000 a warrant was issued for his arrest. He has been living out of state but wants to return to Washington State. If he goes to Superior Court to make arrangements for payment, will he automatically be arrested?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using


If he owes $10,000+ in financial remuneration and has not made payments, if he returns to Washington State Superior Court, he will most likely be automatically arrested and booked on the warrant. When the warrant was entered, the court most likely set a bond in the amount of the monies owed. Depending on the amount of the bond, and the type of bond set by the court (cash, surety or 10%), he may be able to post the bond and then get a court date to determine how the money will be paid. If payment of the monies was a part of his probation, his probation was most likely violated. If convicted of a probation violatioin, he could do jail or prison time AND still have to pay the monies.


He may wish to contact an attorney who specializes in criminal law. Sometimes an initial consultation is free or at a minimal charge. He can discuss the specific facts of his case, evaluate any options that he may have and then decide how to proceed. A judge may look with favor upon your relative if he hires an attorney to assist him. This may show the court that he is now taking the matter seriously and wants to resolve it. The attorney can assist your relative in "turning himself in" on the warrant. He can ask that the bond be made a personal bond (meaning no money need be posted) and sight to the fact that your relative retained an attorney to resolve the issue and voluntarily turned himself in. The attorney can argue that your relative would have no reason to fail to appear in court to resolve the matter. The attorney can explain why the monies were never paid, and/or why the probation wasn't fulfilled and can make a proposal as to how the monies can now be paid.


I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.




xavierjd and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you