How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JPEsq. Your Own Question
JPEsq., Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 5106
Experience:  Experience as Criminal Defense Attorney and criminal law professor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JPEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There are two Reassignments (GA) issued to reassign title of

This answer was rated:

There are two Reassignments (GA) issued to reassign title of the SAME vehicle.
I recognize now that it is counterfeiting of documents for steal vehicle or money.
Vehicle was sold twice.
I have reported to the police and inform the District Attorney, but NO reaction.
What to do?
What was the reason give by the District Attorney for him to not take any action?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I do not know. It was any reason given, as I have got any answer.



I received only hand written statement of hearing made to him over 2 years ago by the police. This papers written by him and sent to me as a copy is only an information based on low of open records in GA respected by the police.

Before, I did not know, the person does exist. On January I made record to DA against him with evidence, I think; it is left without any action. I suppose me as a victim should have more rights for information as everybody's to open records.

Is this your vehicle?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok, well you cannot force the State to take action. Your guess is as good as mine why they are not charging a crime, but there could be a multitude of reasons.


Your recourse is to file a civil lawsuit for fraud seeking the value of the vehicle and a clear title. Since it would be a criminal act, you can ask for "treble damages" (three times the actual damages). So you can sue for the value of your car plus any expenses in clearing the issue multiplied by three.

Edited by JPEsq. on 9/3/2010 at 7:48 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok, nobody can force the State, but as a Victim I have right to be inform of a progress of investigation and to form a questins for invastigator, have not I?

What is the legal way to require this?


A right to seek civil remedies; I could not find in Gorgia Cods "treble damages" and sue possibility.


Should I understand that I can sue for the value of car 36K plus any expenses?

Is the case a criminal act or, I can only file a civil lawsuit for fraud seeking the value of the vehicle?

What kind of attorny I need?


A crime victim does the have the right to be informed of status of the investigation, but the State has not agreed that you are a crime victim. If there were pending charges or an investigation, you would have victim's rights. As it stands, you have made a complaint, and that is all...


It would be a civil case only. Treble damages are available for private lawsuits under consumer protection laws for intentional acts. See the Statute here (subsection c):


You can sue for the lost value of your vehicle. If you still received the vehicle, but have no title, or had to get a title through alternative means, you would not be entitled to the full value as if you had no vehicle. Only your actual expenses or loss. Then you can multiply that times 3 if you can show it was intentional.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.


there were pending an investigation, so I would have victim's rights. To whom I have to made a complaint?


I am not living in US, have no vehicle (lost), as you know.

Is it true; I can sue for the lost value of my vehicle, it is mostly theory or real possibility?

How you know "it would be a civil case only"?

A pending investigation is different than an actual charge. You would not have any victims rights until the person is charged with a crime by the prosecutor.


It is reality that you can sue for the value of the vehicle. Whether the person can or will pay if you win depends on the circumstances.


I know it is a civil case only because a private individual does not have the power to bring a criminal action, only the prosecutor can do that.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can I sue for the value of the vehicle, when the person is not charged with a crime by the prosecutor?
Yes. It is actually easier win a civil lawsuit than a criminal one. The burden of proof is lower in a civil suit (a preponderance of the evidence- which is often expressed as 51%). In a criminal charge, they have to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt (often expressed as 99%).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, even, the civil trial court would say, she/he is not wrongdoer, was not charge, so she/he can not be suit on a civil way.

Do you have any sample of a suit?

A criminal charge doesn't have any bearing on a civil suit.


No, I don't have any samples.


If I have answered your questions, please do not forget to accept.

JPEsq., Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 5106
Experience: Experience as Criminal Defense Attorney and criminal law professor
JPEsq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

YES, Thanks!

About samples, I think a link to, or procedure, how to file the suit myself

Related Criminal Law Questions