How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26788
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was arrested in a domestic violence dispute with his

Resolved Question:

My son was arrested in a domestic violence dispute with his ex-wife involving a live in boy friend. His ex-wife has custody of his 9 year old child who has CP and doesn't talk. His father bonded him out of jail and hired a lawyer. The ex-wife later dropped her charges and the attorney told us the case was over. There was apprently a court hearing on the bond which neither my husband or son received notification. Attorney would not return calls. Now there is a hearing scheduled for "forefeiture of recognize". Should we hired a new attorney or just go to the hearing?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

I don't understand why there would be a forfeiture of recognizance hearing if your son's case was dismissed, so yes, I"d suggest you have a lawyer.

Your son should call the clerk of the court and find out the disposition of his DV case. If there's a warrant for his failure to appear, even if it's incorrect, you're going to want to have a lawyer with you when you show up, as your son could wind up incarcerated.

The lawyer whom you hired should be the one to appear with you if possible, because he was the one who informed you that the case had been dismissed, and his stating that, since he's an officer of the court, would be sufficient for the judge to believe it. Your stating that, or your son's stating that, would likely require corroboration.

Edited by FranL on 9/1/2010 at 10:31 PM EST
Zoey_ JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions