How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 21 year old son Got stopped by a state trooper for light

Customer Question

My 21 year old son Got stopped by a state trooper for light out . Hev had a pipe in the driver side door the trooper saw. He asked him if I had anything else to show - he got another pipe from inside the car and turned it over. The trooper screend him and determind he was not under the influence. Today he re4cieved the arraingment and summons info - the pipe had marijuana residue. By the way his name was wrong on the paper work - His Middle name was list as his first name. How should we handle this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

As with any legal matter, it would be wise to retain an attorney. While Just Answer does not permit us to represent customers of this site or to provide direct referrals, we can point you in the right direction.


First, you should begin with your state bar association. The Pennsylvania State Bar has a website, it is located at


I do not know your county of residence but your county bar association likely has a similar site that will be more specific to your location.


Additionally, Martindale Hubbell is a national organization that rates attorneys across the country. Their website is located at


Another nationwide website is located at This site lists attorneys by geographic location and area of practice.


Additionally, there is quite likely a legal aid society in your area. A quick internet search and/or phone book search should locate the society closest to you.


Each of these resources will have a wealth of information as to attorneys in your area that handle such cases and that would provide services for free or at a reduced cost. I would suggest you check each site out and you will surely find a great number of attorneys that meet your needs. Pick a few to meet with in person so that you can thoroughly explain your situation and then retain the one that you feel can best represent your interests.


Or, if he qualifies, your son can request the appointment of a public defender (PD). At his first court appearance, he would tell the judge he can't afford an attorney. The judge would likely ask him some financial questions and/or have him fill out a financial affidavit. Either way, if eligible, the judge could appoint a PD to represent him.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.


I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.


Thank you for your patience.

Related Criminal Law Questions