Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was stopped for shoplifting yesterday. I admit I took someting on the spur of the

Customer Question
I was stopped for shoplifting...
I was stopped for shoplifting yesterday. I admit I took someting on the spur of the moment that I should not have. The Item was valued at $35. I took it, I don't really know why, I guess I wanted it but thought it was too expensive, although I did have enough money to pay for it. I was scared out of my mind. I am 48 years old and have never done any thing like this or have been in trouble, ever, for anything. I was charged with conversion, taken to jail and booked.. All the people I delt with were very nice. I have a severe Left shoulder and wrist injury, and they were kind enough to cuff me in the front and put my ID band on my right wrist, even though it was ahainst policy. I was very cooperative as I could be. I was never read my rights, and was given a court date. I asn't given any advice about an attourney (I am on SSI disability) I am still not eactly sure what conversion is is it the same as theft? Although the officers I delt with were very nice they did not/could n
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/1/2010
Criminal Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
You question was cut off. Please complete your question. The end reads:
" Although the officers I delt with were very nice they did not/could n..."

Thanks!

Although the officers I delt with were very nice no one did not/could not/would not/ tell me anything other than show up to court on time and dress nice. Do I need an a lawyer? Can I get a public defender? How do I do this? Do I go by myself and just plead guilty (I am, I did do it) or not guilty or no contest (I don't know what that is) This is my first time in trouble with the law EVER and I don't know what to do.

In the past I have been sued in small claims twice in the past and won (regarding a dog bite in each case).

I have also sued (as the plantif) twice in small claims court and won (also regarding a dog attack in each case)

Other than that I have no dealings with the law. Good advice is really needed. Sorry for the spelling errors and others, as I am upset and my hands are really shakey - although I can blame no one but myself for this mess. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

The documentation you received should list a statute.

What statute were you charged with violating?

Thanks!
I was told conversion (by store security, not the police if I remember right, and I was never read my rights, and at the jail they never asked me why I was there or told me I was there) , the only paperwork I have is a paper with the date, time and place to go to court. Thanks, Julie

­Please click the green Accept Button so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question.

If you receive an error when clicking Accept, please Reply and let me know.

Thank you for your question.

Conversion in Indiana is a class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $5,000.

You will want to retain an attorney to represent you in the matter. If you cannot afford one, you may qualify for the services of the public defender's office. Typically, an individual will want to retain an attorney prior to his/her arraignment. If an individual cannot afford an attorney, he/she would typically request that the court appoint one at his/her arraignment (the first court date).

Only your attorney can evaluate what plea you should enter. Your attorney may be able to negotiate to have adjudication withheld. However, the plea you intend to enter is something you should confer with your attorney about. In any case, if a person wants to be found not guilty, he/she will not accomplish that goal by pleading guilty or no contest.

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Please remember to click the Green Accept Button and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,

T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer