How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was arrested in 2006 and charged with a felony which

This answer was rated:

My son was arrested in 2006 and charged with a felony which was reduced to a misdemeanor. He was never convicted as a felon. Just recently a background check listed him as a convicted felon as a result of this 2006 arrest. He has been denied jobs for the last year and now we know why. What should be our next step?

Dear JACUSTOMER - The first place I would check is at the clerk of courts in the place where he was originally charged to see what is showing up on the record. If he was never convicted of a felony and the record is incorrect he should easily be able to have the clerk correct the record and have it show as convicted of a misdemeanor.


Obviously if you are mistaken about the original outcome of the case and it turns out that he was convicted of a felony then you can't have the record changed and he would have to apply for an expungement or pardon from the Governor. Hopefully this is just a mix up on the court records and can be easily correct but you need to start with the clerk of courts as that is where the records are kept.


Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you