Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

In the state of Maryland (St. Marys County), what happens

In the state of Maryland (St. Mary's County), what happens after felony charges have been filed? Will the defendant be summoned to court or arrested?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's legal experts. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Yes. What happens after charges have been filed and accepted by the District Attorney's office is that an arrest warrant will be issued against the individual. With enough heads up, the individual can turn himself in to avoid an arrest, with a bail agency already standing by to post bail. After this, bail is posted, and a hearing is set. One gets 3-4 general hearings for negotiation, until either trial is chosen and a date is set, or a plea is reached.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
According to what I am reading on line, the commissioner makes a decision as to whether the defendant will receive a summons to appear in court to answer the charges, or if an arrest will be made. Since felony charges have been filed, I am not sure if a summons to appear in court is still an option. I am the victim and unsure whether an arrest will be made in this case. I am unclear as to whether an arrest will be made, or if the defendant will simply receive a summons to appear in court for the charges. Please clarify.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
Hello,Sorry for the wait.No, on a felony, it will be an arrest warrant, I am afraid.Summons are only for minor violations. If there is a victim, and this is a felony, an arrest will be made. You can always verify by calling the DA, too.