Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

what does criminal mischief/ma/md level fd mean

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/11/2010
Criminal Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
N Cal Attorney
I think it means they are charging him with a Class D felony. Here is the statute, from
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/2010/title35/ar43/ch1.html

IC 35-43-1-2
Criminal mischief; penalties
Sec. 2. (a) A person who:
(1) recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally damages or defaces property of another person without the other person's consent; or
(2) knowingly or intentionally causes another to suffer pecuniary loss by deception or by an expression of intention to injure another person or to damage the property or to impair the rights of another person;
commits criminal mischief, a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is:
(A) a Class A misdemeanor if:
(i) the pecuniary loss is at least two hundred fifty dollars ($250) but less than two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500);
(ii) the property damaged was a moving motor vehicle;
(iii) the property damaged contained data relating to a person required to register as a sex or violent offender under IC 11-8-8 and the person is not a sex or violent offender or was not required to register as a sex or violent offender;
(iv) the property damaged was a locomotive, a railroad car, a train, or equipment of a railroad company being operated on a railroad right-of-way;
(v) the property damaged was a part of any railroad signal system, train control system, centralized dispatching system, or highway railroad grade crossing warning signal on a railroad right-of-way owned, leased, or operated by a railroad company;
(vi) the property damaged was any rail, switch, roadbed, viaduct, bridge, trestle, culvert, or embankment on a right-of-way owned, leased, or operated by a railroad company; or
(vii) the property damage or defacement was caused by paint or other markings; and
(B) a Class D felony if:
(i) the pecuniary loss is at least two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500);
(ii) the damage causes a substantial interruption or impairment of utility service rendered to the public;
(iii) the damage is to a public record;
(iv) the property damaged contained data relating to a person required to register as a sex or violent offender under IC 11-8-8 and the person is a sex or violent offender or was required to register as a sex or violent offender;
(v) the damage causes substantial interruption or impairment of work conducted in a scientific research facility;
(vi) the damage is to a law enforcement animal (as defined in IC 35-46-3-4.5); or
(vii) the damage causes substantial interruption or impairment of work conducted in a food processing facility.
(b) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally damages:
(1) a structure used for religious worship;
(2) a school or community center;
(3) the grounds:
(A) adjacent to; and
(B) owned or rented in common with;
a structure or facility identified in subdivision (1) or (2); or
(4) personal property contained in a structure or located at a

facility identified in subdivision (1) or (2);
without the consent of the owner, possessor, or occupant of the property that is damaged, commits institutional criminal mischief, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class D felony if the pecuniary loss is at least two hundred fifty dollars ($250) but less than two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500), and a Class C felony if the pecuniary loss is at least two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500).
(c) If a person is convicted of an offense under this section that involves the use of graffiti, the court may, in addition to any other penalty, order that the person's operator's license be suspended or invalidated by the bureau of motor vehicles for not more than one (1) year.
(d) The court may rescind an order for suspension or invalidation under subsection (c) and allow the person to receive a license or permit before the period of suspension or invalidation ends if the court determines that:
(1) the person has removed or painted over the graffiti or has made other suitable restitution; and
(2) the person who owns the property damaged or defaced by the criminal mischief or institutional criminal mischief is satisfied with the removal, painting, or other restitution performed by the person.

I suggest calling the jail and asking for clarification of what the charges are and if he can post bail.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer