Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Say I find some container with an old syringe on the street

Customer Question
and give it to the...
Say I find some container with an old syringe on the street and give it to the police, would they conduct tests at a lab, or would the said items be contaminated. Could they charge someone with possession of drug paraphelia if the items in question were delivered to them by another source, another person who found them. Also, what is the penalty for drug paraphelnia etc.
It would seem to me it would be hard to charge someone with this offense regardless of what evidence they might find because who is to say how many people may have had contact with it prior to the police recieving it.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/8/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 7 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hi

If you find any type of paraphernalia on the street and turn it into the police, or if someone handed it to you and then you handed it to the police they would not charge you with possession. It would most likely be tossed in the trash.

Penalty for possession of paraphernalia is a possible fine of up to $2500. However, in the scenario you present, there would be no charge

My question is not whether the person finding the drug paraphelnia is at risk to be charged, but rather would they proceed to find and charge the person it belonged to. Would the police attempt to pursue lab tests etc. Or has the item become contaminated due to others having come into contact, handling it and so on. And is not the offense itself (possession of drug paraphelnia) to be charged would it not be dependent upon a possession by the original user. How could they conduct tests, Dna. or whatever and then later on charge someone with possession, especially if it happened to be found on the street by another person. This is the heart of my question, thanks-

Hi

I see. The answer is NO. They would not waste resources on trying to find the person who used it.

The only time they would expend on such tests is if there is an open murder investigation and they feel that evidence could help solve a case. They may place it in an evidence bag and store it. But usually, they would just trash it.

Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law