Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What does criminal intent or criminal contempt mean? My son…

what does criminal intent or...
what does criminal intent or criminal contempt mean? My son is being held on this, but they won't tell him what the crime was.
8/7/2010
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

Criminal intent only means that a defendant deliberately meant to commit a crime. It's not a criminal offense. Rather it's the mental state that a prosecutor would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt for many, though not all, types of offenses.

The 4th charge is going to be criminal contempt. Criminal contempt can be charged when you violate a court order. As your post indicates, your son had been charged with three counts of failure to pay court ordered child support. The fourth charge is the court's way of enforcing the child support order -- by making a defendant's contempt of that order into a criminal offense.

You can read the Michigan contempt statute right here. It carries a penalty of up to 90 days in jail and a fine of up to $500
Zoey_ JD