How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DCrane Law Your Own Question
DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
DCrane Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Maine and has a son who was living with me, took

Customer Question

I live in Maine and has a son who was living with me, took my car without permission and later ran into a business , charged with DUI and other. I wanted to file charges for unauthorized use and the police said I could not has he had used the truck two years ago when he had a liscense and insurance. therefore did not commit a crime, but taking my jewelry would have been... makes no sense.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  DCrane Law replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I agree that the rationale offered by the police is illogical and more important is not consistent with applicable laws. The prior use, given that it was two years prior, is irrelevant. I would recommend contacting the district attorney directly, bypassing the police.