How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34996
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son went to prison on a number of charges.He served his

This answer was rated:

My son went to prison on a number of charges.He served his time, removed from probation and is doing fine. One charge was sex offender. When he went to court to be released from probation and sex offender, the defense recommended dismissal, the prosecuter recommended dismissal, the parents of the girl recommended dismissial, but the judge went against all and said no he would have to be registered!!! How can to go back and get this off his record. No charges have been added in the last 13 months since has has gotten out of prison.
Thanks for the chance to assist on this matter. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience in criminal law.

You have an uphill battle at this long ago was the sentencing hearing?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was about July last year after he was dismissed of everything except for the sex offender.

That is going to make it very difficult. It sounds like you may have had a case for an appeal on the sentence (if everyone said no but the judge said yes). But you only have 30 days to file an if this happened over a year ago its way too late to appeal.

The best advice is to file a request for clemency to the can request the governor reduce the sentence to one that does not require registration...if the DA and the victim agree with this request, you have a decent shot to get it approved.

Let me know if you have more questions

P. Simmons and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you