How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26862
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband was arrested in CO. for a parolee at large warrant

This answer was rated:

My husband was arrested in CO. for a parolee at large warrant from CA. They picked him up and flew him back to CA. The riverside county parole commissioner gave him 6 months. Is there any way to have that time reduced? He explained to her that he has a newborn son, a wife and a job back in CO. But she didn't care or even let him explain that much. He does not have any more charges against him except the abscounding charge. He has been at large since 2006, so he has changed his life around and was doing good but this finally caught up to him!! Thank you for your time.

Unfortunately, your husband was sentenced for a felony offense, and his liberty since his release from prison has been entirely at the discretion of the Department of Parole. That means that your husband doesn't have the same rights as ordinary citizens. Additionally, given that in Parole's eyes he's been a fugitive from justice for more than 4 years and they have no reason to trust him, a 6 month sentence on the VOP doesn't sound particularly unreasonable.

It sounds like your husband has already had his hearing, if he was sentenced on this already. Otherwise, he can have a lawyer at his hearing who will get to call your husband's positive accomplishments over the last 4 years to the attentions of the Board and see if he can make this somewhat better.

Edited by FranL on 8/1/2010 at 7:40 PM EST
Zoey_ JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you