Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

i got arested for prostite i got date on tuesday wht i ss gnna

Customer Question
happen...
i got arested for prostite i got date on tuesday wht i ss gnna happen
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/1/2010
Criminal Lawyer: AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney replied 7 years ago
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney

Hi jacustomer,

This is likely a first appearance where you give your plea. You need to hire your criminal defense attorney on MONDAY morning and have him take over - he may be able to get it so you do'nt have to go to that first court date, plead not guilty, and that will give him time to get all the discovery and see where he can punch holes in their evidence. I suggest using the money you would typically spend on 'ladies', to hire the lawyer, to get you outof this pickle. No that a criminal records means you will be likely finding employment (beyond minimum wage type) difficult to come by with any employer who now runs back ground checks. Try to avoid that - it is worth spending $$ now to avoid a criminal record, then paying forever later.

Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. If you need more detail, please click Reply, not ReList and I will gladly respond. Also, if you exceeded the one question one answer standard, and the expert provided you with answers to your additional questions, BONUS is an appreciated way of saying thank you! This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

i want to know tht if i they proove me im guily wht kind punishment im gnna get whts gnna happen
If you tell me the precise statute that they charged you under? It will be in your charging papers/citation.
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
prostitue
Yes, I understand that, but what is the NUMBER of the law under which you were charged? Can you read your paperwork and see what you were charged with?
ok its 647(b)pc

Hi, and Thanks!

California Penal Code Section 647

Every person who commits any of the following acts is guilty
of disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor:
(a) Who solicits anyone to engage in or who engages in lewd or
dissolute conduct in any public place or in any place open to the
public or exposed to public view.
(b) Who solicits or who agrees to engage in or who engages in any
act of prostitution. A person agrees to engage in an act of
prostitution when, with specific intent to so engage, he or she
manifests an acceptance of an offer or solicitation to so engage,
regardless of whether the offer or solicitation was made by a person
who also possessed the specific intent to engage in prostitution. No
agreement to engage in an act of prostitution shall constitute a
violation of this subdivision unless some act, in addition to the
agreement, is done within this state in furtherance of the commission
of an act of prostitution by the person agreeing to engage in that
act. As used in this subdivision, "prostitution" includes any lewd
act between persons for money or other consideration.

...

BELOW IS THE MANDATORY SENTENCE IF SECOND OR THIRD OFFENSE:

(k) In any accusatory pleading charging a violation of subdivision
(b), if the defendant has been once previously convicted of a
violation of that subdivision, the previous conviction shall be
charged in the accusatory pleading. If the previous conviction is
found to be true by the jury, upon a jury trial, or by the court,
upon a court trial, or is admitted by the defendant, the defendant
shall be imprisoned in a county jail for a period of not less than 45
days
and shall not be eligible for release upon completion of
sentence, on probation, on parole, on work furlough or work release,
or on any other basis until he or she has served a period of not less
than 45 days in a county jail. In all cases in which probation is
granted, the court shall require as a condition thereof that the
person be confined in a county jail for at least 45 days. In no event
does the court have the power to absolve a person who violates this
subdivision from the obligation of spending at least 45 days in
confinement in a county jail.
In any accusatory pleading charging a violation of subdivision
(b), if the defendant has been previously convicted two or more times
of a violation of that subdivision, each of these previous
convictions shall be charged in the accusatory pleading. If two or
more of these previous convictions are found to be true by the jury,
upon a jury trial, or by the court, upon a court trial, or are
admitted by the defendant, the defendant shall be imprisoned in a
county jail for a period of not less than 90 days
and shall not be
eligible for release upon completion of sentence, on probation, on
parole, on work furlough or work release, or on any other basis until
he or she has served a period of not less than 90 days in a county
jail. In all cases in which probation is granted, the court shall
require as a condition thereof that the person be confined in a
county jail for at least 90 days. In no event does the court have the
power to absolve a person who violates this subdivision from the
obligation of spending at least 90 days in confinement in a county
jail.
In addition to any punishment prescribed by this section, a court
may suspend, for not more than 30 days, the privilege of the person
to operate a motor vehicle pursuant to Section 13201.5 of the Vehicle
Code for any violation of subdivision (b) that was committed within
1,000 feet of a private residence and with the use of a vehicle. In
lieu of the suspension, the court may order a person's privilege to
operate a motor vehicle restricted, for not more than six months, to
necessary travel to and from the person's place of employment or
education. If driving a motor vehicle is necessary to perform the
duties of the person's employment, the court may also allow the
person to drive in that person's scope of employment.

-----------

Keep in mind, any DP misdemeanor charge for a FIRST offense CAN get you up to a year in jail - but unlike second and third offenses above, it is not mandatory. For this reason, we often see fines and probation and/or community service. Although it is a relatively minor charge, it is one that must be taken seriously. Any misdemeanor criminal conviction will leave you with a permanent criminal record.

You never want to put yourself in a position to have to explain why you have a disorderly conduct conviction to a future employer. And in many cases, you will never get to explain it. Because a background check will be performed on you, and you simply won't be offered the job. For this reason, I suggest you consider aggressively fighting it, or at least getting a lawyer to try to plea it to something else.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney