How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4502
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have accused my husband of rape. The night everything

Customer Question

I have accused my husband of rape. The night everything happened i was intoxicated. I did not remember most of the accusations I had made the next day. I met with the detective a few days later and read the accusations. I do not believe my husband did this. I do not know why i claimed this. I immediately checked myself into alcohol rehab and am now in a much better state of mind. The detective asked my husband if he would do a polygraph test and he said he would. They are waiting for NCIS to administer the test. I DO Not believe he did this. I got a call yesterday from the detective because I left a message wishing to drop the charges. She told me to come in on monday and make a statement. I don't think it is possible for someone to just drop charges like this. I believe they are wanting me to admit that I lied. So, what do I do?? Go in and ask to drop charges???
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 7 years ago.

You can admit that you falsely accused him. If the charges have not been forwarded onto the prosecutor's office, then the police can opt not to charge him. However, you should be aware that you would be admitting that you filed a false police report, which is a crime unto itself. So even if they drop charges against your husband, it is possible they can charge you. If you can afford it, you may want to have a lawyer go in with you when you speak to the police. If not, you will have to decide how you want to proceed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.