Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.
18210975

Forgive the facetiousness of this question could the 8th Amendment

Forgive the facetiousness of this question: could the 8th Amendment clause : "...nor cruel or unusual punishment inflicted" be interpreted to mean that Cruel AND Unusual punishment would be acceptable?
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

No, the clause can not be read that way. The clause basically says, "No cruel punishment shall be inflicted; no unusual punishment shall be inflicted". Putting an "or" between two clauses in a sentence does not make each dependent on the other.

Hope this helps,

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. If you are not satisfied with the Answer, please feel free not to Accept, and post a follow up question so I may be able to clarify my Answer. My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael