Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I just heard of a "conditional first offenders felony" that…

Customer Question
I just heard of a...
I just heard of a "conditional first offenders felony" that if no priors convictions you can work and pay out your probation and it will be expunged (sp?) from your record because of no priors. It is conditional however. Is this available in any state? I was told this info from a gentleman who did or is doing this but this offer was never made by the public defender that represented me? I was in court today and took a plea but knowingly this would follow me forever. Can I go back and ask about this? Do I ask the public defenders office to change this or the probation officer that I now have to meet with?
Please advise.........thank you.
Jim Gregory
email***@******.***
cell: XXX-XXX-XXXX
home: XXX-XXX-XXXX
Thank you for your response. I live in Georgia and this case was in Shelby County Alabama. They are supposed to transfer my probation to my town here in GA in Canton after the 14th of this month.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/7/2010
Criminal Lawyer: xavierjd, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com

What crime did you plead guilty to?

Thanks

2nd degree arson.

In Georgia, upon a verdict or plea of guilty or a plea of nolo contendere, but before an adjudication of guilt, in the case of a defendant who has not been previously convicted of a felony, the court may, without entering a judgment of guilt and with the consent of the defendant: (1) Defer further proceeding and place the defendant on probation as provided by law; or (2) Sentence the defendant to a term of confinement as provided by law. (Emphasis supplied.) Under the plain language of this statute, a trial court is only authorized to grant first offender treatment before a defendant has been adjudicated guilty and sentenced. Lewis v. State, 217 Ga. App. 758, 759 (458 SE2d 861) (1995). (1) It follows that, once a trial court imposes a sentence, the defendant loses the opportunity to be treated as a first offender.

To qualify for First Offender probation, you must not have a prior felony conviction, you cannot be charged with a violent felony, you must be advised of the advantages and disadvantages of First Offender treatment, and you must ask the judge for it. The judge must review your record and consider all circumstances before allowing you to be placed on First Offender probation.

However, there is a potential downside to First Offender Probation. For example, assume that your offense has a potential sentence of 15 years. You receive a sentence of 8 years First Offender Probation. If you violate any of the terms and conditions of your probation, the judge can revoke, modify, or continue the probation.

Here's the bad part: The judge can enter an adjudication of guilt. If s/he does so, s/he can not only revoke your probation, s/he can sentence you up to the full sentence allowed by law. In this example, that would be a sentence of 15 years less credit for any amount of time served on probation.

Keep in mind that if you were sentenced to regular probation of 8 years, and if you violated your probation, the most the judge could revoke is the balance you have remaining.

IMPORTANT: Please note that if you are convicted of another offense while on first offender probation, Georgia law (O.C.G.A. § 42-8-65(b)) requires the Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) to change the first offender sentence to a conviction.

So......as long as you haven't been sentenced yet, you need to get in contact with your attorney and ask him/her to get the judge to consider you for first offender status.

I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.

This is Georgia Law...I need Alabama Law. This case transpired in Shelby County, AL outside of Birmingham. That's the first.

2nd. What's considered a violent felony?

And last. Since I accepted this plea and probation at 11:30am central time do I have 24 hours to ask about this conditional issue before the 24 hours is up?

Answer this and I'll accept the answer.

Thanks.

Sorry about Georgia.

1. Alabama law also allows for a pretrial diversion for first offender felons. Just as in GA, your attorney will have to get the approval of the judge. Also, the DA may have to also accept you into the program.

2. A violent felony is one in which a weapon is used or a person is injured or killed. For example: murder, aggravated assault, domestic violence, kidnapping, etc.

3. You are not considered to be "convicted" of a crime unless you have been sentenced. There is no 24 hour rule. You do need to speak to your lawyer ASAP. If you have not been formally sentenced, your attorney may be able to ask to withdraw the plea so that the DA can review the case to see if you could be accepted in a diversion program. If the DA agrees, then that may be made part of the plea--meaning that the DA is willing to allow a diversion. Ultimately, it is up to the judge as to whether s/he will allow you to get a diversion.

*****It is important that you ask your lawyer WHY you were not informed of the possibility of diversion. You deserve an honest answer.

Below is a guide to felonies in Alabama. It is FYI.

http://felonyguide.com/Alabama-Felony.php

I hope that you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.