How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was involved in accident, hit someone elses vehicle, and

Resolved Question:

I was involved in accident, hit someone else's vehicle, and left the scene. at this poi nt what shoulod i do and what are the immediate consequences
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  xavierjd replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using


Was the vehicle parked? What were the circumstances?


Do you have any criminal history?




Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no criminal history, vehicle was not parked driving on expressway we bothe merged into the same lane, and I rear ended them
Expert:  xavierjd replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the information. I'm sorry for the delay. I was assisting another customer.


First, let me explain the possible consequences: If your vehicle was identified as being the one causing the accident and you were identified as the driver, you could be charged with:


1. Failure to stop an assured clear distance, causing an accident: That is a civil infraction punishable by a fine and 2 points on your driving record.



2. 257.618 Accidents; damage to vehicles; stopping required; reporting to police agency or officer; penalty.

Sec. 618.

(1) The driver of a vehicle who knows or who has reason to believe that he has been involved in an accident upon public or private property that is open to travel by the public shall immediately stop his or her vehicle at the scene of the accident and shall remain there until the requirements of section 619 are fulfilled or immediately report the accident to the nearest or most convenient police agency or officer to fulfill the requirements of section 619(a) and (b) if there is a reasonable and honest belief that remaining at the scene will result in further harm. The stop shall be made without obstructing traffic more than is necessary.


(2) If an individual violates the requirements of subsection (1) and the accident results in damage to a vehicle operated by or attended by any individual, the individual is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both. Also, 6 points will be added to your driving record.


4. 257.620 Accidents; attended or unattended vehicle; stopping; report.

Sec. 620.

The driver of any vehicle which collides upon either public or private property with any vehicle which is attended or unattended shall immediately stop and shall then and there either locate and notify the operator or owner of such vehicle of the name and address of the driver and owner of the vehicle striking the vehicle or, if such owner cannot be located, shall forthwith report it to the nearest or most convenient police officer. That is a civil infraction punishable by fines and 2 points will be added to your driving record.


What should you do?


If the other vehicle got your license plate number and reported it to the police, the accident may be under investigation. If you are charged with a misdemeanor, then a warrant may be issued for your arrest.


You should report the accident to a police department in the jurisdiction in which it happened. All you can do is report that the accident happened, when it happened, any information you have about the other vehicle (color, year, make, etc.) and why you didn't stop and give identification or report it to the police right after it occurred. At least if you do that, you have tried to right the wrong. You have reported the accident. could take a chance and hope that the other vehicle couldn't identify your car and therefore, do nothing and hope it just goes away.


However, I can't tell you NOT to report the accident. That is the law in Michigan. I can only give you your options.


I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.

xavierjd and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you