Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
26798026

I'm writing because I was arrested a month ago for a dwi and

I'm writing because I was arrested a month ago for a dwi and have my court appearance in a few days. I couldn't afford a lawyer, so I'm representing myself. When I was arrested, the police officers didn't make it clear as to why they pulled me over. They walked up to my car, with my girlfriend in the passenger seat, and they smelled alcohol and asked me to step out. They had me take a sobriety test, which the police officer said I passed. There were a few officers on scene, including the sergeant that told me to "get the **** in the car" even after I passed the tests. I asked the officer, whose car I was in, what I did to be pulled over, and he wasn't sure. He brought me to the station to fill out paperwork and give me a breathalyzer. My BAC was a .13%. I'm not trying to defend what I did, but I'm not a small person, and I truly thought I was alright to drive. I work 45 minutes away from where I live and I really cannot afford to lose my license. This is my first offense, with no priors at all on my license. Should I try to get a lawyer before Wednesday? From this brief explanation, is there a chance I could get my dwi lowered to a lesser offense?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started